Hashtags are a vital component of business media representation. Small businesses can win the race for customers’ attention because they have used a trending Instagram hashtag. Nevertheless, is the strategy for this success all about following trends? Let’s analyze how popular and unique hashtags may influence your business representation in media.
Trending Hashtags for Small Businesses
Suppose you have used your Twitter analizer and fished out the hottest hashtags. How can they help your business, and what negatives might there be?
- Your business enters a big competition for attention. Even if your posts do not appear in the hottest section, they might interest users who look at the most recent updates.
- Trending hashtags for business contribute to visibility. Thousands of people tap on the trending hashtag to see more photos, read more thoughts, and so on. Of course, the flow of thousands will bring you only a hundred interested people. And, after time, only a dozen of them will remain. But that is still a dozen more than zero.
- Your business demonstrates trendiness. Entering such informational flows may show that your business embraces novelties and is up-to-date.
The negatives of using trending hashtags for business are not that dramatic. However, they should be considered to draw the right conclusions.
- A lot of businesses use trending hashtags. So, you will become just one more in the big crowd.
- More significant companies with deeper marketing pockets will outcompete you by paying for ads. They will be on top of the feed, and you will be where you are – among other regular posts.
- The popularity of a hashtag means that people use it to discuss various topics. The connection with your business might become blurred amid all this noise.
So, should a small business focus on trending hashtags?
As a rule, no. Trending hashtags might be about memes when your offers are for traditional and extra serious people. Moreover, the informational volume is immense. So, your posts are likely to merge with all other materials. Still, trending hashtags will not hurt because there is always a chance to reach at least some engaged people.
Narrow Hashtags for Small Businesses
Now let us switch to less popular hashtags that still gather some interested users. Can those be the best tool for small businesses in this aspect?
- Narrow hashtags add specifics that make your business more visible. For example, imagine you have a small pizzeria in Brooklyn. If you use the hashtag “#food,” your post will seem lost among others. But if you use the narrower and more specific hashtag “#pizzaBrooklyn,” it will appear in the feed of those interested in this product. The specificity of a narrow hashtag is its advantage. It is easier to become a big fish in a small pond than in an ocean. With narrow hashtags, you need fewer posts to be on top and, consequently, in the feed of many users.
- Less competition. So, buying ads next to a narrow hashtag is much cheaper than a popular one.
- Narrow hashtags focus the attention of users on your business. The specificity of such tags allows you to reach the target audience with each post and interest them in what you do or sell more.
- Narrow hashtags place your content in categories where it should be. That small constituent is a part of the general concept, and they make your page more holistic. Moreover, it may help you connect with business doers focusing on resembling projects. Since both businesses are small, you can become partners and friends instead of competitors!
- The main downside to narrow hashtags is that they are… too narrow. If a hashtag is too broad, it becomes useless because of the vast competition. But if it is too narrow, it might limit your reach so much that no one will ever see your content. You must find the perfect middle between “too general” and “too specific.”
- The lack of an engaged audience is the most significant drawback. The point of using hashtags is to reach people who would be interested in your content. There might be very little numbers of interested users. You will get no feedback if you post under a hashtag no one uses.
Should I focus on narrow hashtags then?
Yet again, if yes, then not entirely. Like trendy ones, narrow hashtags have solid negatives that might hinder your representation.
The Solution: Small Businesses Can Mix those Tags!
Social media is a resilient and borderless space! So, your business social media pages may have both popular and trending with narrow and rare tags. But also, you can modify them how you please! For instance, suppose your offer is magical products like tarot cards, candles, and crystals. Compare:
- The most trending ones: #witch #candles #wicca #witchcraft #crystals #magic #tarot
- Narrow ones: #magiccandlewitch #witchprehnitecrystals #prehnitwitchejewelry #raidertarotcards
- Modified: #witchystuff #witchcandle #prehnitejewelry #tarotcards
The first one has many posts, the second one has a few, and the third one has average numbers. Mix them for maximum reach, and enjoy comments asking about how much your offer is!
Extra Tip: Do Not Forget About Locations
Mentioning your location in a hashtag can alter the whole situation. It can be a separate tag, which you may mix with your keyword. For instance, #cars, #texas, and #texascars are three principally different categories — and you may make your post appear in each. But you may add that only in the geolocation and let it be.
But event-related location tags are another story. If your business has an event, it is advisable to mention the location in tags. For instance, you present your custom craft at a festival in Florida. Posting a picture with tags like #festival and #craft is insufficient. But adding the hashtag #craftfestivalflorida2022 will make all attendants see what you create!
Small businesses may not ponder on what is better: trending hashtags or narrow ones. You can use both and get maximum reach! The perfect strategy is to mix those tags, add locations, and use them moderately. And your small business may become a small trend very soon!
Shivam is a capable substance essayist who enthusiastically makes enlightening and intriguing articles. Shivam has a curious psyche and a hunger for learning. Shivam is a reality lover who loves to uncover captivating realities from a large number of subjects. He solidly accepts that learning is a deep-rooted excursion and he is continually looking for valuable chances to expand his insight and find new realities. So make a point to look at Shivam’s work for a brilliant perusing.